Sunday, June 5, 2016

Community Service: 🐩Making Dog Toys in the Classroom 🐶

🐶TURN A T-SHIRT INTO A DOG TOY🐶
I am disappointed in myself for waiting until the last week of school to incorporate community service projects into my class. The parents and students were so willing to help and were so thrilled to be serving the animal shelter pups in our community. If you are looking for an easy and FREE service project to do in your classroom, I highly recommend this! 

Working in a low income school, I try to avoid asking students/parents to bring anything in that costs money. Therefore,  I asked students to bring in an old T-shirt that they don't wear anymore. I emphasized that I did not want them to go out and buy one. Many kiddos brought in bagfuls of shirts, so students who didn't have one were covered.

 I used the blog here for instructions on how to make three dog toy variations. From trial and error, my students and I learned to first cut off the sleeves (inside the seems). Then, cut off the collar in a straight line so that you are left with a square (or rectangle) of material. Next, cut both side seems which will leave you with two squares of material (the front and back of the shirt). Cut into strips 1" thick. Cut shirt in whatever way will provide you with the longest strips. Students found that when the strips were too short, it was difficult to tie into a knot.
Between my co-worker and I, our classes were able to make over 60 dog toys in one day and we donated them to our local animal shelter. I am already thinking of ways I can incorporate at least one community service project a month next year. What service projects do you do in your classroom? I'd love some new ideas!

For the Love of Students (and dogs), 
                                                             Emily
   

No comments:

Post a Comment